Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hi New Baby Cousin!!

Dear Shane,

Well, you're probably wondering why I am not there right now. I wish I could see you, but your Tante is going to send me some pictures soon! I'm not there because I am a crazy person and decided to spend a few months studying and traveling in the former Yugoslavia. You'll learn more about geography and history when you're older. It's complicated stuff.

Soon, you will get to go home from the hospital and be with your whole family! Unfortunately, I still have a few more weeks (forunately, I am not in a hospital). I am living in a big city called Belgrade, where I am working on an independent study project. I still have two weeks to finish the project, but it involves interviewing people, reading a lot of books & articles and writing the research paper.

I had two really good interviews today, with people who have fancy titles and big offices. It was neat, but also stressful. I am always worried about asking the wrong questions or sounding uninformed about the topics I am researching. Luckily, people are very accepting and welcoming of me as a student-researcher. They think that it is awesome that I have the interest to come here and study, and I consider it a great opportunity too. Even still, it is hard to find people who will meet with me, or even respond to my emails & phone calls. Usually, I need someone to pull strings for me! My advisor, who knows everyone(!!), helps me to set up the appointments. You probably think that it is all very silly - you are probably right.

Take care, baby Shane!! I will be home at the end of May and seeing you very soon after!
Волим те! (Love you!)
Liz

No comments: