Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Restaurant "Na Ćošku" // "On the Corner"

My roommate Gaby is interning with the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network (BIRN), as part of her project, and she is writing columns for Balkan Insight, the English language weekly published by BIRN. This week, she was tasked with doing the restaurant reviews. She asked our professor which restaurant in Belgrade is her favorite and she referred us to this place called Na Ćošku, meaning "on the corner."

Rachel and I went with her. I haven't tried any restaurants in Belgrade yet, so I was really excited. The place was divine. It's apparently popular with the expat community and the very courteous waitstaff provided us with English menus. It was a short menu, mostly Asian fusion, which was something I didn't expect. But, everything sounded so wonderful - we decided to each try something different.

I started with the corba dana, the soup of the day: carrot soup with madarin oranges and sour cream. It was good - sort of creamy, but not heavy. It was something I wouldn't normally be too interested in, but it was actually good. But my entree.... ohhh...

A perfect steak, with marinated figs and wasabi sauce, over rice. It's going to haunt me. It was one of the best dishes I have ever tried. The steak was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. The figs were sweet and the wasabi gave it a kick, but neither overpowered the steak. I thought the rice with steak was a little weird, but I think they were trying to continue the Asian fusion theme. It went well with the wasabi.

Gaby started with a platter of prosciutto with blue cheese and quince and had chicken curry for her main dish. Rachel had Tom Yum (Thai) soup and grilled salmon with sweet chili and coconut milk. Their dishes looked good too, but mine was definitely the best. :-) Hopefully, she'll need to review another restaurant next week!!

No comments: